Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Retreat to Chico



This past week we jumped in the car and went to the nut farm!

Really! We went to Chico, California where Sterling's parents are serving a mission on a walnut farm. It was absolutely serene! We spent almost a week helping here and there, but mostly just enjoying ourselves. The farm is owned by the church and is home to about 12,500 acres of walnut trees. We decided this is about 20 square miles. The place is enormous! To get to the opposite end of the farm takes about 20-25 minutes. OK so who is eating all these nuts?! 90% of the nuts they process leave the country. They were shipping to Australia, Iran, China and several other foreign countries while we were there. It really is quite a process too. I have new respect for the people that keep this farm rolling. Including my in-laws that work from before sun-up to sundown daily.


Deseret Farms is also home to several million critters as we found out. We saw a skunk, a fox, several owls, many deer, a coyote, jack rabbits, and a raccoon, just to name a few. But the highlight of the animals had to be when we took a walk and came across a doe with her two young fawns. These babies couldn't have been a few days old and were maybe a foot tall. They were the cutest things I have ever seen. One of the little guys got confused about following his mama and came to within a few feet of us. Then he dropped and must have thought he was hiding real good. He stayed that way throughout the night and we were trying to figure out where to buy milk to feed it when it's mother finally came for him. So cool!




I was also able to spend time with my brother Shane that lives in Sacramento. Although I didn't have my camera, we had a very nice dinner with Shane and his friend Ana.

SERENE!


3 comments:

m said...

Awesome Bec! I love your hair! I saw that Sterling shaved his hair, Robert did that last month and it is just now getting a little longer. Devil! I hate buzzed hair!
Anyway, we are so excited to go a week from today.
Your pictures look wierd with just two boys and no Macade. How is he!?

G and K said...

Being able to share what we do as missionaries makes serving at Deseret Farms even better. Thanks for coming. And Maryam, we missed Macade too. When Sterling and I were buying meat for Sunday dinner, he figured seven "mouths" would be partaking; then realized their family was four for now.

Kati said...

Holy crap...that is an AWESOME photography location!!!!

What an amazing thing to be a part of...

I would like to hear "Moore"...but in PERSON! I miss you. I leave for girl's camp Monday. I was thinking about sneaking down to your mom's to take a shower. (ha, ha) We are just up at Blackhawk.