Monday, July 12, 2010

Farewell Sappers

It took me a couple of days to pull it together and some pictures from my sister but here
are some photos from the Sapper farewell.
I have never seen anything quite like this before. It was the most heart wrenching experience of my life and my kid wasn't even there! Daddy's just staring at their little ones and wives sobbing.
The picture above is of all of the gear they put on their backs as they got into one last formation to board the plane.

This photo is the soldiers making their way through the crowds after kissing their families goodbye. PS this is where I lost it completely. These brave men were holding back tears with everything in them!

I decided I wanted to be a support to not only Macade, but his fellow soldiers, which is why I went up even though he left early. (Thanks for doing that Macade. I could not have said my goodbyes in that hanger.) However, when I saw these two men, I couldn't help but ask for a picture. This is General Tarbet and SGT Major Summers of the Utah National Guard. I have heard them speak before and read several articles by them. They are military celebrity!!!
So, Macade, this is who has your back at home! And they are now my BFF's!!! Just thought you should know. When you come home healthy and happy, you will see the 3 of us waiting for you.
I love you son. I am so proud of you. I will be thinking of you constantly. My heart has an empty space in it. But in just a short year, I look forward to seeing you return with your unit having completed your mission successfully.
God bless you all.

Fox13now.com did a good story on this that I couldn't figure out how to blog it. But look it up and check it out.

1 comment:

m said...

I love it. Such a good post Becca. I am so emotional for you.