Thursday, September 11, 2008

A face only a mother could love... I don't think so!



So, little Koy went to his first day of football practice yesterday. (Most of you know that Koy is completely in love with football. ) He was so excited because it was raining. He told me there's nothing like football in the rain. I dropped him off and he was so excited to jump out of the car and go hang with all the boys he had never met. He called me an hour later to come pick him up. He got in the car dripping wet from the rain and seemed a little down. Here are his exact words.

"It was OK. It's the first time in my life someone told me I looked disgusting. The only boy that spoke to me asked me what was wrong with my lip. I told him that it was just a scar and he told me it was disgusting."

With my heart in my feet, I held back my tears long enough to explain to Koy that not everyone was lucky enough to be taught tolerance. I told him I felt so sorry for that little boy that had never learned acceptance.

I must say that I did not see that one coming. I mean, I knew kids could be mean, but we have gone so long without anyone saying anything so hurtful to him. I am obviously so used to his scars that I guess I like to think that no one else sees them either.

I finished our conversation by saying something like "did you tell him to go to hell?" (My fabulous mothering skills shining through.) He just giggled and then said "no Mom, I didn't want to be mean." How can you not just love this kid! I guess I am OK at this Mom thing after all.

B

3 comments:

Blythe said...

Oh, Becky, this broke my heart. It makes me want to give that kid's parents a piece of my mind. So glad that Coy has you. And you aren't "so used" to his scars. He is darling! Tell him Blythe said so.

Christine said...

So how do you know Cara? She is in my ward and we almost share a backyard fence. Small World!

Kati said...

I'm going to kick that kid's A$$!!!!!
Tell me where he lives!
I think Koy is so stinkin handsome! Not only that, but he is SMART! Athletic! And pretty much has EVERYTHING going for him. That piece of crap kid is probably just jealous!